Religion and Education
St Cadoc’s Church in Wales Church.
This beautifully appointed Norman style church set in the heart of the village of Pendoylan contains interesting features. The chancel arch is of the early perpendicular style of the 14th century with restoration carried out throughout the church in the 15th 16th and 19th centuries. The stairs to the rood tower are perfectly preserved and there is a walled up priest door in the chancel. The embattled tower contains a ring of 6 bells originally presented to the church by Judge David Jenkins in the 17th century and now enthusiastically rung by members of the local community. The churchyard contains 2 ancient yew trees from which local legend claims the army of the Black Prince cut their arrows. The parish registers only date back to 1727 but there is a list of incumbents dating back to Elizabethan times. The first record of a priest of Pendoylan was of Urban who sometime prior to 1205 had gifted 12 acres of land to the monks at Margam.
Sunday worship every week at 6.30pm.
Holy Eucharist each Wednesday at 9.15am.
Family Worship with Pendoylan Church in Wales School on the 3rd Sunday of the month (term time only) at 11.15am.
More information at : churchinwales.org.uk
Bethania Presbyterian Chapel.
On the road from Pendoylan to Clawdd Coch the current chapel building was completed in 1871 some 50 years after the Presybterian Church in Wales was founded. Prior to construction of the permanent site there had been a temporary building at Clawdd Coch where only the burial ground now remains. One of the early elders was William Evans the great grandfather of Ifor Novello. This friendly chapel has a thriving Sunday School with the children taking an active role in the services.
Sunday morning service every week at 11am.
More information at: Bethaniapendoylan.co.uk
Pendoylan Church in Wales Primary School
More information at:pendoylan.com
Pendoylan War Memorial Hall
Opened in 1933 dedicated to the ex-servicemen of the parish the War Memorial Hall is located on the road from Clawdd Coch to Pendoylan. The original building was financed by a door to door collection raising £87. It was refurbished with new external cladding on the walls and roof in 2000 with the assistance of Millennium funding. A new kitchen has recently been installed creating a much improved facility. The hall is well used by the local community with activities ranging from an after school club to dog training and events such as bowling, race nights and local BBQs. It is also available for hire for private functions.
Privately run venues
Llanerch Vineyard at Hensol is now the premier Welsh Vineyard with 20 beautiful acres of land, woods and lakes including 6 acres of vines. The first vintage from the vineyard was 200 bottles in 1988 for a family wedding. The grapes are of both German and French varieties and the wines are marketed under the Cariad label. There is a visitor centre, shop, hotel, bistro and restaurant with a cookery school.
More information at: llanerch-vineyard.co.uk
Red Lion Public House
Situated in the centre of the village of Pendoylan this attractive stone built pub is a focal point of the community. Whilst there has probably been an inn on the current site of the Red lion for many centuries the earliest reference is in the Alehouse Recognizances in 1824 showing William Burton as the innkeeper. The Pub is for sale and is closed.
PENDOYLAN PARISH/COMMUNITY COUNCIL 1894 TO 1999
In 1954 to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, Major Westby presented the Parish Council with a chain of office bearing the insignia of the Parish Council.
Sixty years earlier Parish Councils had been established under the Local Government Act of 1894. The first Parish Meeting under the Act of 1894 was held at the schoolroom on Tuesday the 4th day of Dec 1894 at 7 o’clock pm. The Rev’d T.H. Lewis, vicar, was elected chairman of that meeting. A poll was held in the village on Monday 17th December 1894 to elect members to the Parish Council and Messrs Evan Jones, farmer, Plwcca, Edwin Day, labourer, Glan Nantfach, Richard Bassett, farmer, Brynhelygan, Mr John Rowlands, farmer, Maesarel, Mr E Jenkin Williams, architect, Trehedyn House, were duly elected to the Parish Council.
The first Parish Council meeting was held on Wednesday the 2nd January 1894 at 7.30 pm. The Rev’d T H Lewis was elected Chairman of the Parish Council. Mr Edward Jenkin Williams was elected Vice Chairman. Mr Thomas Watts was appointed clerk to the Parish Council without remuneration for the first year and Mr Marshall, London and Provincial Bank, Cowbridge, was appointed Treasurer.
The business conducted on that day was to arrange a meeting with the Charity Commissioner about the Charities belonging to the Parish and to write to the District Survey regarding the state of the culvert below Pendoylan House and the state of the road at Tredodridge.
The Act of 1894 transferred certain powers of the Parish Vestry to the Parish Council and the Parish Council took over the responsibility of the management of Pendoylan Parish Houses Charity/The Charities of Earl Talbot and Philip John (Church Row) electing themselves en bloc as trustees. The Council also appointed representatives to the management of the village school.
During the Second World War the Council organised the civil volunteers necessary to support the war efforts and during the 1930s and 1940s were instrumental in introducing modern technology to the village. Two of special significance being the installation of a Public Telephone Kiosk in 1939 and the supply of electricity to the Parish of Pendoylan in the late 1940s.
Since the Coronation there are still many similarities with the work done by the now Community Council, which came into existence after Parish Councils were abolished in Wales on the31st March 1974 and the Parish Council of 1895. The Council still meets at 7.30pm in the School (but now on Thursdays). It is still concerned with the state of footpaths, roads and culverts in the parish. It still appoints representatives to the Parish Houses Charity and the Board of Governors of the Village School. But in recent years the emphasis has changed to trying to maintain the rural nature of the Community. Planning matters and traffic problems are usually high on the agenda together with items aimed at improving the local environment.